Curb Appeal Still Matters!
BEFORE WINTER HITS
- Make it sparkle! Who doesn’t like a clean home? Wash windows, dust furniture, ceiling fans, and bathroom exhaust fans. Bleach dingy grout, recaulk tubs, showers, and sinks. Clean kitchen appliances inside and out. Empty trash/recycling daily to avoid lingering odors.
- Consider taking pictures of your yard during Spring, Summer, and Fall. Showcase how much privacy your yard has when everything is in full bloom.
- Make sure heating systems are functioning properly, and use this as a selling point that major mechanical systems have already serviced. On showing days, turn up the temperature to be comfortable and give incentive to buyers to linger longer.
- If you have an older roof, have a roofing contractor evaluate it BEFORE snowfall. Get the evaluation in writing and use it as a reassuring selling point.
- Less sunlight + darker days = you need more lighting! Pull up blinds, open shutters, push back drapes on every window (UNLESS outdoor scenery is undesirable).
- Many people are allergic to commercial scents and deodorizers. Simmer spices in water or bake cookies for a better effect.
- Consider installing a motion sensor that lights up in the evening when a buyer approaches your front doorstep.
- Avoid using religious themes or too much distracting holiday décor. Outdoor holiday lights are OK, don’t go overboard.
- Use outdoor spotlights that highlight the exterior and/or landscaping features.
- Soft background music during showings is a nice touch, but keep it non-religious.
- Highlight rooms and features that make good “hang out” spots when you’re stuck inside: light the fireplace, show off your finished basement with space for kids AND adults to play!
OPEN HOUSE/SHOWING DAYS
- Clear a path through any snow…even if flakes are still falling! Footprints turn to ice when the temperature drops. Sprinkle a layer of salt or sand to ensure easy access for visitors.
- Put a rubber mat by the front door to hold winter footwear and a container for wet umbrellas.
- Be aware of the Packer and Badger football schedules! Make sure you coordinate correctly for open house times.
- Near Thanksgiving holiday? Pull your home off the market, or wait to list your property until after the New Year.